Thin crispy cookies that are wonderful with tea!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Stir together the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium bowl cream the butter and sugar together until light; beat in the egg yolk, lemon zest and lemon juice. Fold in the flour mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough in half and roll each half out on a lightly floured surface until 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Cut with cookie cutters and place cookies on the prepared baking sheet. Brush tops of cookies with beaten egg white and sprinkle with white sugar.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden, the edges should be light brown.